SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Captain DeRemer has held a USCG Master’s License for over 30 years and has captained everything from racing sailboats to motor yachts to cargo ships. He taught powerboating and sailing, including offshore sailing and celestial navigation, and has operated vessels from New England, the Great Lakes, all along the East Coast, throughout the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. Some of the yachts he has captained include a classic 1939 Trumpy motoryacht, a classic 1955 Feadship motoryacht and a Little Harbor cruising sailboat. His cargo vessel experience includes state-of-the-art dynamically positioned Platform Supply Vessels, operating in support of the offshore oil and gas industry.
Joe began Marine Surveying in 1995, receiving his original certification as an Accredited Marine Surveyor from The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors (SAMS) in 1998. He specializes in pre-purchase surveys, insurance surveys, and damage surveys of yachts and small craft.
Joe received a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from Boston University. While there, he developed state-of-the-art yacht hardware utilizing the computer and research facilities at Boston University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. After graduation, he worked in the Marine Design Engineering field at shipyards and consulting firms, specializing in shipboard system design and installation.
Joe has been a life-long pilot. He currently holds a Commercial Pilot Certificate with Instrument Rating in airplanes and helicopters.
Joe is focused, well organized, has a sharp eye for details and is a good communicator. Throughout his career, he has focused on customer service and creating an environment of trust and understanding with those he works with.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND CREDENTIALS
- USCG Master 3,000 GT, 6,000 GT OSV, Upon Oceans, with all appropriate STCW certifications
- B.S. Aerospace Engineering, Boston University, Boston, MA
- Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Accredited Marine Surveyor
- ABYC Standards Certified
- Certified Level I Infrared Thermographer #0101043
- Dynamic Positioning Operator, Nautical Institute
- DHS TWIC Card
- GMDSS Radio Operator’s License
- ARPA Certificate
- USCG Radar Observer, Oceans, Unlimited
- USCG Basic & Advanced Shipboard Fire Fighting
- Medical First Aid Provider
- Water Survival/HUET Certificate
- Hazardous Waste Operations; Level III Technician (29 CFR 1910.120)
- Company & Vessel Security Officer Certificate
- PADI Certified Advanced Open Water Diver
- USCG Auxiliary, Past Public Education and Member Training Officer
- Annapolis Sailing School, Past Senior Instructor
- American Powerboat School, Past Senior Instructor
- FAA Licensed Commercial Pilot and Helicopter Instrument Flight Instructor
A detailed resume is available on request.